At the last meeting, my fellow UTurn Junior High Leaders and I talked about the various names of God and how we could illustrate/teach about the names at youth group. We had some great discussions regarding different names and it really got me thinking into how God has been evident in my life and how each of the names attributed to Him in the Bible are still so evident and clear. Perhaps the best way for me to show what I mean is to briefly discuss a couple…
- Yahweh Jireh: “The Lord will provide” Through everything, God provides just what we need, when we need it. He knows the plan that is best for our lives, and will provide for us accordinly, all in His timing. I keep trying to plan out my life and it never really works in the way I want…I have learned that God has a plan and I need to just be willing to go along with it and set my own agenda aside. In a way, this is why I do not have my life all mapped out and planned…sure, I have a desire to better myself and I have the motivation and drive to do so, but I am also letting God work on the roadmap of my life (I like the way that sounds…possible blog post in the future??)
- Yahweh Maccaddeshcem: “The Lord your Santifier” God alone can make us pure and holy, through Him we become as we were meant to be. We are all sinners…you, me, everyone. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23). Through Christ we are made holy once again and our sins are washed clean away.
- Yahweh Ro’i: “The Lord my Shepherd” God guides us and protects us, much in the same way a shepherd guides and protects the flock. We are all lost sheep and Christ is seeking us all out to bring us back together in His flock. Whenever I get off track, I feel the gentle prodding my my Shepherd…getting me back on track.
- Jehovah Nissi: “The Lord my Banner” Jesus is our rallying point, the firgure that we, as Christians, gather around and are united under. I will rally around the banner that is Christ…it is above any nation or government and is my first allegency.
- King of Kings, Lord of Lords.
There are so many names in the Bible used to describe the attributes or characteristics of God. It is a topic worth studying and deserves so much more justice than a simple blog post can provide. We are covering some the various names of God during Wednesday evening services with the junior highers. If you should feel so inclided, please pray that God gives us the words to say so that the junior highers understand just how great and mighty God really is, in all aspects of life.